I hope this is the appropriate board for this question (as it is possibly subjective to specific universities).

I am currently studying a bachelor of aerospace engineering and am strongly considering postgraduate research, particularly in the courses that I’ve found most interesting namely fluid mechanics/aerodynamics. I imagine fluids are also studied in physics degrees, however there seems to be a strong distinction at universities between physics and engineering postgraduate students.

I don’t quite understand why this distinction exists and what the general differences in content between Engineering and Physics PhD’s are; particularly in (what I see to be) overlapping fields such as fluid mechanics. I would like to try do some fundamental research in fluids and I am hoping that my Engineering degree doesn’t hinder me in this regard.

Leave a reply

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>