What are advantages and drawbacks of starting a computer science PhD funded both by the university and a company, compared to a PhD fully funded by the university?
I can provide more details about the context pointing out some hypotheses that I have done so far.
- will provide proprietary data;
- will stimulate about solutions for current issues;
- will impose constraints on PhD topic (it could be slightly modified, but no more);
- will impose some constraints about publications, e.g. they would delay publications until new outcomes are started in the company production line.
On the other hand, without a company:
- no proprietary data;
- less stimulating scenario compared to issues coming from a real scenario (?);
- free management of PhD topic (you could modify significantly during the 3-year research);
- no problem about publications;
- more “theoretical” research.
I will appreciate any experiences, especially computer science area.