Currently I’m in a situation where I was originally working with an university to develop a course while being in industry, but I left the industry job. I’m not sure how to approach the conversation with the university. On one hand I would like to develop the course and teach it, but the university is a teaching oriented one (while I’m interested in research). Would it be better to work out a deal with them that I’ll be an adjunct on the class and see how I get compensated for also developing a course? Or should I go in as an assistant professor and see how it goes (even though I think I wouldn’t stay there for more than 2-3 years, and I would also pursue research with outside academia)?

I’m an engineer with a M.S. and 20+ years of industry experience. I always wanted to teach but I left grad school for industry to help pay the bills. I have no regrets, but I do have a very strong desire to go back into academia. I remember my first real engineering class was taught by a adjunct who had a full time industry job. I really appreciated the advice he gave about being an engineer in the real world. I’d like to return that favor to future engineers by being an adjunct.

I’d like to start by establishing a presence at local community colleges. I’d love the opportunity to do some volunteer work, collaborate, substitute or sit on an advisory board. I’d offer a unique perspective still being connected to industry, but with a strong interest in academia. What would be realistic? What position should I contact at the community college and how should that conversation start?

I accepted an offer to teach a graduate course at the university, as an adjunct professor. This program has a minimum threshold for number of students signed up. In other words if not enough students signed up by the deadline, they won’t offer it.

I wonder how do you advertise the courses that you teach? I think the subject and content will be very interesting to many students, so the question is how to disseminate the information about it to potential students outside the graduate program that it is part of?

It’s a national university in USA, ranked in top 100, not top 20 or Ivy league type. I believe that this course will be available for students of a regional consortium of universities to which this uni belongs. The course is elective, and a part of a small Masters level program, but will be listed in the catalog and should be available to students outside the program. The course is a STEM subject in STEM certified program, so it should be compatible with similar programs

I’m very interested in working with a specific professor, who is a full-time full professor in one department, and adjunct faculty in another. In this case he is not a part-time adjunct who only teaches. I’m more interested in being a grad student in the second department, for a number of reasons that aren’t important to go into.

In the US, would it be typical for such a professor to be able to supervise a grad student in the second department? Or is this likely to vary by school? The department website is unclear.

I know I can ask him, but I thought this would be a valuable question for the community as well.

In countries like the US, Canada, or many in Europe, where a college or department (as relevant) is comprised of undergraduate and graduate students organized into Bachelors, Masters and PhD levels:

I’m curious about the typical bureaucratic structure, who is in charge of the professors at the undergraduate and graduate levels? Does everyone report to the Dean or is there like “middle management”?

I am currently a Ph.D. student with a Master’s degree. Throughout my time in grad school, I have been an adjunct at a local university. Recently, this university has started a Master’s program in my field. However, the department is quite small and those faculty who are able/interested in teaching these classes is even smaller thus, I have been asked if I would like to teach one of the graduate classes for this new program.

My question is whether or not it would be appropriate for me to ask for a pay increase to teach this course. Currently the adjunct pay is determined by a per unit rate depending on level of education (in my case Master’s). What I am unsure about is if this rate should change, or if it is common in other institutions for pay to increase when teaching grad level courses.

I am currently an adjunct professor.

I’m wondering how to best label this on my CV.

Specifically, should I use “Adjunct Professor”, “instructor”, “instructor of record”, etc. as my job title?

  • I think adjunct (unfortunately) has a negative connotation associated with it, so I’m worried that my experience will be devalued if I include adjunct in my job title/description.

  • Does using just “Professor” imply that I am a full -time tenured professor?

So what is the best way to go about titling my adjunct position at this institution on my CV?

What does “Associate Faculty” mean, as used for example in this job advert headlined


and this brochure from the Perimeter Institute in Canada:

In just 11 years since the Institute’s inception, PI has grown to
– 16 full-time Faculty
– 15 Associate Faculty

Given the adjective ‘full time’ above, perhaps ‘Associate’ just means ‘part-time’, but I’ve never heard that usage before.