There have been stories recently of students who were expelled from university for derogatory things they said online. It got me wondering if a student would be expelled for saying something derogatory online, except when they were a minor. In this scenario the student wouldn’t have been 17 (right before they entered college) but more around the age of 13-15 when they made the comments (many years before enrolling).

I know this probably depends on each university’s own code of conduct, but I have no specific institution in mind. Answers based off your own university are fine, and I’m more interested in Canadian universities (although members of universities in the US, Europe, etc are also welcomed to share any info).

To me it doesn’t make much sense for a student to be punished for something they said years ago as a young teenager, but I digress.

I’m an international student studying in master’s program (MSc) in Canada, and I will complete my current program on December 2018. I will start my PhD program in different university (McGill) but have to start from September 2019 because of their strange differential fee waiver system which is only applied for the international students starting their program from Fall term, not for the students starting from January (Winter) or May (Spring/summer). I need to get differential fee waiver otherwise whole amount of tuition is too much for me even though it can be covered partially by supervisor’s funding support.

My question is, am I, as an international student, eligible to work as Research Assistant in potential supervisor’s lab for about three months before starting my PhD on September ’19? I will still have valid Study permit with Social Insurance Number, and I don’t want to apply for work permit just for working for 3 months or so.

Thanks very much in advance!

I took a university course where the final exam was a multiple-choice type with the answers going into a “scantron” sheet that gets fed into a machine. This is reasonable, since there were about 600 students taking it.

My final grade for the exam was such that I was about 1% short of the next letter grade for the course overall. After all the marks were posted, the exams were made available for pickup to students. I picked mine up and found two questions that I was sure were right but were marked wrong, so I went to see my professor to review the exam and ask about them.

He gave me two answer keys to check – one was the master scantron that was fed into the machine to tell it the correct answers. The other was the master paper exam with the questions (same thing the students got on the exam), where the correct answer was circled. I checked the two questions I was interested in and sure enough the paper exam agreed with my answers, but they were marked incorrectly on the master scantron that was used to grade every student. In other words, whoever filled out the answer key scantron made an error on at least 2 questions and filled in the wrong bubble.

I showed the prof the error and he seemed completely unfazed and not surprised and simply said that yes, he agrees that I picked the right answer and since this actually bumps me up a letter grade he’ll fill out the form for the university to adjust my already-posted course grade. He then simply put away the two answer keys and bid me good day.

While I have no concrete proof, I feel like he already knew about the errors and me finding them was not a surprise. However, it seems that he does not intend to regrade all 600 students and is only dealing with the ones that actually come in and spot the error. Is this an acceptable approach? So far he has sent no communication out to the class regarding this and to my knowledge most of the students are unaware of the error.

I’m currently doing university level continuing education in Quebec, Canada. As part of my degree, I want to do some courses from another university online. I’ve talked to my chairperson, and he validated certain courses. So I made an application this January, and recently received a conditional offer of admission.

One of the conditions was receiving the official transcript from my current university. No problem, right? Simply ask my home university to send them the document: they have an online form for it, which I filled out, and off it went.

What I’m concerned about is that under the Documents to send is listed “Official transcript” and under details, “with H18.” What is H18? Does it refer to something that must be on the document, or something about the university?

Screenshot of missing documents

I remember reading in The Professor Is In that the tenure-track references should be from external members, not only your past advisors/supervisors.

That book is written aimed at social sciences, maybe, so, for Computer Science, in Canada (and the US), how important is it really?

I imagine that it would not be a dealbreaker for a rockstar, and that exactly how much impact would depend on the case/institution/competition, but what can I expect the impact to be?

I have a three years bachelors degree from a university in India(Top 10 by NIRF ranking). I want to do my masters in Canada but I have heard that a 4 years bachelor’s degree is required.
The thing is, my 3 years bachelor’s degree has the same amount of credit compared to a 4 years bachelor’s degree. So in this case, am I eligible or not?

I have been greeting all my professors as “Professor (last name)” in emails I send to them. I think this is normal, but at my university all the professors/lecturers use their first name when ending emails they send.

For example, if the teacher’s name was “Joe Smith”, they might end an email they send as follows:


This behavior is the case with all of the professors I’ve had, so it seems to be something that’s global to the university. Should I be addressing my professors by their first name in emails? I would have done so already, but I don’t want to sound disrespectful. I’ve looked it up but haven’t found any guidelines my university gives on addressing faculty.

Also, I think this question is different from others because as far as I know, my university is an exception with all professors using their first name.

I am a PhD student in Bioinformatics at a big university in Canada working in the area of molecular biology and computational models. Due to the nature of medical research, we often approach very tiny problems and often lose the big picture of the real world problem that should be addressed in practice. What I have in mind to do after the PhD is to spend a year or so to study all research aspects of a specific disease (e.g. Multiple Sclerosis) to gain a big picture of everything that is happening within the field and then extend it to some industrial applications. I am wondering if it is common or at least possible to receive a grant for a series of review studies on a field with deliverables like review papers?