A few days ago I got an offer (yay!). I have about another week before they want a decision. Over the last few days I have been tallying up costs for start up. When should I start negotiating?

And here’s the bigger question: my wife and I are expecting our first child basically soon as the fall semester starts – how do I broach the topic of a single semester deferral? I hate to do this but we have a lot of worry about transitioning during such a sensitive time (and their health insurance policy does not allay our concerns plus we have zero connections there and I worry about my wife’s isolation as I start a new position). This would be the number one thing for me to take the job.

So how would I go about the negotiation? Would I say A is number one thing I need, then B, then C etc? I should I start ASAP? Should I e-mail where I can cleanly layout reasons for each desire?

In regards to the deferral request, how do you envision the school to respond? It is a small department so not sure how they could absorb the workload. I was planning on going into detail how I would use my deferred time to accomplish tasks that would benefit the school (e.g. grant applications, work on outreach program, prep for spring classes, be willing to take heavier load in spring, get research ready for students etc). I doubt the school will completely dismiss my caution but also worried that deferral will be too much for them to bear.

A few days ago I got an offer (yay!). I have about another week before they want a decision. Over the last few days I have been tallying up costs for start up. When should I start negotiating?

And here’s the bigger question: my wife and I are expecting our first child basically soon as the fall semester starts – how do I broach the topic of a single semester deferral? I hate to do this but we have a lot of worry about transitioning during such a sensitive time (and their health insurance policy does not allay our concerns plus we have zero connections there and I worry about my wife’s isolation as I start a new position). This would be the number one thing for me to take the job.

So how would I go about the negotiation? Would I say A is number one thing I need, then B, then C etc? I should I start ASAP? Should I e-mail where I can cleanly layout reasons for each desire?

In regards to the deferral request, how do you envision the school to respond? It is a small department so not sure how they could absorb the workload. I was planning on going into detail how I would use my deferred time to accomplish tasks that would benefit the school (e.g. grant applications, work on outreach program, prep for spring classes, be willing to take heavier load in spring, get research ready for students etc). I doubt the school will completely dismiss my caution but also worried that deferral will be too much for them to bear.

I got accepted into the Phd program at a Top 3 university in US.

However, as I have an external scholarship (full funding for PhD study), I have to defer my admission to work at the scholarship sponsor research institute for one year.

I wrote to the department explaining my situation, but was informed that deferral is not allowed and I have to reapply next year.
Anybody had a similar experience as me? Is there a chance to appeal for my deferral request?

As I have my own fundings, technically speaking I do not occupy a quota in current cohort.

I am an undergraduate student majoring in computer science. I am currently doing graduate (Master’s) program application for top US universities.

However, just now I get a pretty nice research assistant internship which requires me to work for them for one year.

I think I might take a gap year between my undergraduate and graduate study for the internship. But if I am accepted by the university I want to go, can I ask for a defer enrollment? I know I can reapply the next year, but despite the new research experience, my professor might refuse to write me reference letter again , the things might change (more applicants, less slots) and I might not be accepted the next year(I am also wondering will turning down an admission affect my application for the same program the next year). So I am thinking if I can use the defer enrollment to “hold” the admission.

Is taking a research gap year an acceptable reason for defer enrollment? Or generally, what are the acceptable reasons to take a defer enrollment?

In my country, we have to do a year of military service after graduating. The service starts in January. If I applied for a PhD program and get accepted, I won’t know till March or April, after I have entered the service. Will the university accept postponing my admission for another year?

I will apply before the service, in case I get excused.