I am an international applying for graduate studies to some US universities. As part of the application process I need to show evidence that I, or a sponsor, have enough money to cover the cost of living and tuition fees.

However, I need to provide the university with this evidence before they even consider my application.

My question is, is there any way I can apply for a loan and access the money only if I get an offer?

I want to avoid taking out a loan then not getting into any University and having to pay that loan back.

Any other solution is welcome.
Thank you.

Recently I applied to a number of graduate program in the humanities. After applying to ten schools, I received an offer in late February for a full funding package, from one of the universities, which seemed rather early to me. This offer came from an advisor, not the actual graduate school – the official letter of acceptance from the graduate school came several weeks later. In the offer, the advisor stated that though I had been offered funding, they would appreciate an answer on whether I would accept the funding as soon as possible. Since this was late February, and I had only heard back from one school at the time, this put me in tricky situation, and I couldn’t really give her a deliberate answer. I would certainly accept the funding if I chose to attend, but that was not a certainty by any means. The school from which I received the offer was not my top choice, a good school, but not a top choice. As such, I told her I needed more time, without going into any details. Quite simply though, I just hadn’t heard back from most of my schools.

A couple of weeks later I heard back from this same advisor, and this time she again asked for an answer as soon as possible, but did notify me that the national deadline in which a decision can be made is April 15th, several weeks away. At this time, I was still waiting to receive a decision from a couple of other schools. I told her (the advisor that contacted me) that I needed more time. One to two weeks went by, and trying to expedite the decision, I contacted the one last school that I hadn’t heard from, and found out I had been placed on the waiting list. My waitlisted school said they needed to receive word from a couple of other students whom they had made offers to, and they could then possibly make an offer to me if these students declined. As such, after thinking myself into a rabbit hole with these complications, rashly, despite having thought of it for several weeks (which may be why I thought myself into a rabbit hole) I accepted the offer from the initial school that made the offer.

I have read elsewhere on these boards that accepting an offer and then withdrawing it after April 15th, for a waitlisted school is highly unethical and can cause dismissal from all schools. I certainly see the reasoning behind that, but if I were to rescind my acceptance before April 15th, hopefully a week or more, would this be considered unethical since they could still easily give the funding elsewhere? Moroever, would it be a disadvantage to the school I did receive the offer from? Finally, could it possibly have an effect on my long-term career if I rescinded the offer and accepted admission to the waitlisted school? Another question, which seems to be a personal one depending on who is replying: I have seen some people say that programs reaching out like this early isn’t necessarily right because they are applying pressure on a student earlier than maybe they should? I have also heard other people on these threads make strong points that these universities need to hear back as soon as they can so other students aren’t caught in a similar limbo as the the one I am in now. So I guess if anyone has to offer on this point, please feel free to do so. I did feel pressured because it was so early and I had received so few responses, but I also understand what the university is trying to do.

Regardless, is it ethical to rescind an acceptance of funding and admission before April 15th (hopefully a week or more before)? Would this burn a serious bridge that would hurt my career? Would another student not receive funding since I accepted the offer and then withdrew it? I understand that some programs will reach out to their highly-regarded candidates in order to recruit them, and I’m certainly not against the school, but it sounds like I have a solid chance of getting off of the waitlist. It was one of my top schools, for not just academic reasons but personal as well. Seeing how this is the next five years of my life, it’s a weighty decision to make. Please let me know what you think, or if you have any official procedures for going about these matters. Thanks!

I am an electrical engineering PhD student, from an African country and the official language here is French, but since most of journals and revues are in English, I always struggle to write my papers and most of them are reject because of the language. I tried to study English in local schools but the result is not so good.

Until a friend of mine suggested that i should try to studying English in an English-speaking country (Preferably the US or the UK), because the interaction with people will also count as practice, So i am looking for a school or training which is specialized in teaching PhD student how to write a scientific paper ? Does a such thing exists in the USA/UK, if yes please point me to them.

I’m an incoming grad student at a US university and I’ve been asked to set up my email alias. The university doesn’t have an explicit policy on what the aliases should look like, but I’ve noticed most faculty and grad students have gone with either firstname.lastname@acme.edu or lastname@acme.edu. However, because my first name is shorter, available, and easier to spell, I’m thinking of going with firstname@acme.edu — could that be interpreted as inappropriate/unprofessional/overly casual by some, or would it be fine?

Recently I applied to a number of graduate program in the humanities. After applying to all of my schools, I received an offer in late February for a full funding package, which seemed very early to me. This offer came from an advisor, not the actual graduate school. The official letter of acceptance from the graduate school came several weeks later. In the offer, the advisor stated that though I had been offered funding, they would appreciate an answer on whether I would accept the funding or not as soon as possible.

Since this was late February, and I had only heard back from one school at the time, this put me in tricky situation, and I couldn’t really tell her anything. I would certainly accept the funding if I chose to attend, but that was not for sure by any means. The school I received the offer from was not my top choice, not a bad school by any means, but not a top choice. As such, I told her I needed time, without going into any details. Quite simply though, I just hadn’t heard back from most of my schools. A couple of weeks later I heard back from this same advisor, and this time she again asked for an answer soon if possible, but did notify me that the national deadline that a decision can be made is April 15th, still several weeks away. I was still waiting to hear back on a couple of other schools. I told her (the advisor that contacted me) that I needed more time.

One to two weeks went by and trying to expedite the decision, I contacted the one last top school that I hadn’t heard from, and found out I had been placed on the waiting list. My waitlisted school said they just needed to hear back from a couple of other students whom they had made offers to, and they could then possibly make an offer to me if these students declined. As such, after thinking myself into a rabbit hole with these complications of matters, rashly, despite having thought of it for several weeks (which may be why I thought myself into a rabbit hole) I accepted the offer from the initial school that made the offer. I have read elsewhere on these boards that accepting an offer and then withdrawing from it after April 15th, for a waitlisted school is highly unethical, can cause withdrawal from all schools, and I certainly see the reasoning behind that, but if I were to rescind my acceptance before April 15th, hopefully a week or more, would this be considered unethical since they could still easily give the funding elsewhere?

Moreover, would it disadvantage the school I did receive the offer from? Finally, could it possibly have an effect on my long-term career if I rescinded the offer and accepted admission to the waitlisted school? To be frank, I’ve been trying not to second-guess the decision and take responsibility for the decision I made, but as I’ve thought more and more about it, I don’t exactly feel like it was fair to place that pressure on me so early in the decision process. They have to know that I probably haven’t heard back from other schools, that I’m not in a position to make an informed decision, and that it is unorthodox to personally reach out to student who is trying to make the best decision for him/herself as they can. Of course, I did accept the offer, so I clearly need to blame myself as well. Regardless, is it ethical to rescind an acceptance of funding and admission before April 15th (hopefully a week or more before)?

In your opinion, is it right of them to use this tactic in trying to get an early decision? Would this burn a serious bridge that would hurt my career? Would another student not receive funding since I accepted the offer and then went back on it? I understand that some programs will reach out to their highly-regarded candidates in order to recruit them, and I am flattered by it, and I’m certainly not against the school, but it sounds like I have a solid chance of getting off of that waitlist, and that was one of my top schools. Seeing how this is the next five years of my life, it’s a weighty decision to make. Please let me know what you think, or if you have any official procedures for going about these matters.

I am finishing up my Bachelors in Physics from a US university and have applied to graduate programs in both USA and Germany (PhD programs in USA and Masters in Germany, because German uni’s require a Masters to apply to their PhD programs). For German universities, I will be able to apply only to their winter semester that starts in October, because the summer semester starts in April, and I am still in school during this time. I was accepted to couple PhD programs in the US, but I have to accept the offer by mid-April. However, the deadlines for the winter semester of German uni’s isn’t until July. I was wondering if German universities get this question every year, and if there is any way to know the decisions from Germany before I have to accept the offers from US.

I am an electrical engineering PhD student, from an African country and the official language here is French, but since most of journals and revues are in English, I always struggle to write my papers and most of them are reject because of the language. I tried to study English in local schools but the result is not so good.

Until a friend of mine suggested that i should try to studying English in an Anglo-Saxon country (Preferably the US or the UK), because the interaction with people will also count as practice, So i am looking for a school or training which is specialized in teaching PhD student how to write a scientific paper ? Does a such thing exists in the USA/UK, if yes please point me to them.

I am a graduate student in Mathematics. I have solved my original thesis problem, and that will probably one or two papers, at least one of them very good. After that, my advisor basically told me: “Here is this paper that I wrote (together with two other very strong professors), there are some cases missing, I would like you to do them”. Problem is, none of them has an idea on how to solve these cases (otherwise they would have written them in their paper, of course), so here I am, stuck on this problem for months, with basically no advance whatsoever (at the beginning at least I was learning a lot of stuff, now I know everything that’s relevant that’s been written up to know – I spent a lot of time looking at the literature). How can a PhD student (decently good, but certainly not a star) be expected to improve upon the work of some professors, if there nobody has a precise idea on how to do so? I think this is overambitious and nonsensical, to say the least (especially after spending 3-4 months on it).

It is one of those problems where once you have found the key idea, the problem is completely done (exactly the opposite of what I like working on).

I would like to work on other lower risk projects, but my advisor made it pretty clear that he wants me to spend time on this, so I would be completely on my own. I don’t think I can come up with something new just on my own, but I think that spending other months trying to outdo professors is not going to work either! What should I do?

I’m pondering a Masters (thesis) in Computer Engineering after I graduate undergrad. I also have a subject matter I want to research that will probably require a fellowship in order to conduct my Masters.

I want to explore a section of Computer Engineering that I can apply to Sociological and Ethnic studies ( the particulars of what that is isn’t important here ). I have a sociological research institute in mind that is perfect to help my research into what I want to do for my Masters. I want a fellowship in this institute because its the preeminent leader in its field and it intersects perfectly with what my research would be about.

The thing is, I don’t know if they would even take me in the first place. Yes, I have a degree in Sociology but my Masters work is in engineering. Would it be in the norm for a research institute ( especially one in the Social Sciences ) to offer a fellowship to someone who isn’t in their field? I’m going to be a Engineering Master’s student who wants to conduct research in a Social Science field.

I am a master’s student in the US studying international relations, and I had a negative experience in one of my classes last week. It is my last semester of my master’s program, and I feel very exhausted from being a student. I have a story about what happened in one of my classes last week, and would like to know how I should cope in the class for the rest of the semester.

Last week, in one of my classes (in a subject I am not too familiar with), I had to give a presentation based on a paper I wrote. The assignment involved writing a paper based on the course readings for the week that we signed up for and presenting it on the due date. I presented, but I admit that my presentation was quite poor because of my lack of confidence in my paper. This was definitely a situation of the input being much greater than the output, which is definitely one of the greatest frustrations that anyone could ever have. I know that it is a stupid calculation on my part, but I was just planning to present in a dull way so that other people would not ask any questions; the presentation did not seem to be weighted much. The professor attacked my presentation in front of the class and gave it as an example of what not to do. However, I would have preferred that I just receive a bad grade in private, as opposed to having to feel embarrassed in class. I could tell that the professor was quite disappointed. ‘Humiliated’ might seem like a strong word, but I felt very embarrassed and helpless for the rest of class. I am from a non-western culture, and in my culture, it is considered one of the worst insults to publicly embarrass someone; this is done in cases when the person is mean-spirited or it is likely that the people involved will never see each other again. There are three weeks left of the course, and I feel like I would not want to stare at anyone in the remaining class sessions. I am considering training my mind to think of myself as a corpse for the two-hour duration of each of the remaining classes. The papers for last week are already graded, and based on what happened in the class, I am already mentally prepared for the worst in relation to my paper grade.

So, my questions are, is the professor’s reaction common and justified in the US or other western countries in situations like mine across different fields? And, how should I cope for the last few weeks of the semester? I just can’t wait for this course to finish. If such an experience were to occur, I would have preferred that it happen on the last day so that I would not have to look at familiar faces in the classroom ever again.