I’m asking this from the perspective of the future supervisor. After a round of interviews I approached the highest ranked candidate. My error was not including a deadline in the initial email.

Now a week has passed from the last response I got from the candidate. I have sent another reminder recently. However, my patience is running out. I understand that of course the candidate might be trying to buy some time to make up their mind, and probably waiting for other offers.

Are there any other options apart from sending an ultimatum? If so, how much longer should I wait to filter out external reasons for the lack of responses? I.e. sickness, unforeseen events, etc.? This is in Europe.

In Germany and in the US, usually people apply for multiple positions then start to negotiate with the universities that give them offers. For example, if you’re offered a position from A and B, you can tell A that you have another offer from B, and to choose A you’d need x and y and z because this would help you do the research you wish to do.

Is it the same in the in the UK? I’ve come across this post: How to negotiate the salary for a UK faculty position?
in which one of the responses suggests that it might be insulting to negotiate the salary. But I wonder if it is the same for lab space, travel funding, etc..

So how are things done in the UK after the person has been offered multiple lectureships? I am talking about entry level lectureship (i.e., not senior lecturer, not reader, but rather “lecturer”).

I am currently working as a full time lecturer after two years of unemployment post disatorous tenure denial. I have two on campus visits lined up for associate professor positions. The lecturer position I currently have was advertised as an assistant/associate position which I applied for initially. The Dean asked me to apply for the lecturer position because she wanted to offer another candidate (different specialty) the tt position. Turns out the other candidate was abd and the provost insisted on hiring that position as a lecturer until dissertation was completed. Other candidate not only has not completed dissertation but teaching performance was so poor that they have decided not to renew contract. Meanwhile, my concentration has exploded with quadruplethe number of students from previous year. My teaching evaluations were glowing and they have offered another year as a lecturer. I want to reopen the possibility hiring on tt track and promotion to Associate before I get counter offers from campus visits. Pretty sure the Dean wants to keep me as a mule but the Provost might have very different ideas. Any advice on strategy?

addendum

  1. The plan is to rehire next year but the position is open now.
  2. I do not have offers now but I am a finalist for two separate positions, campus visits this week. I would like to give the Dean a letter now requesting negotiation to get the idea on the table. I’m assured work as a lecturer, want to float the possibility of getting more.
  3. There may be a more general question you could ask, such as โ€œWhat factors determine whether a university will consider its non-TT lecturers for a TT position?โ€ Noted, will consider.

My colleague and I, both postdocs, are going to TT positions at separate R1 public universities. For various reasons, our advisers have little idea what present startup packages look like. I am in Industrial, he is in MechE.

Here are some guesses from our last brainstorming session:

  • Equipment (thinking 100k or so)
  • Cash for travel, supplies, etc (Thinking 50k or so)
  • Grad student support (thinking 1-2 grad students for 3 years)
  • Postdoc support (might be substituted for a grad student)
  • Summer salary (for 2-3 years)

Thoughts? Additional things?

I have been promoted to Research Scientist at the (highly ranked in engineering) Ivy League at which I was a engineering postdoc. I have also been offered an Assistant Professorship at the state school from which I received my Masters and PhD, in the (low/not ranked) engineering dept in which I did that Masters. Both sides have provided good offers. The Ivy League has additionally suggested that if I take the professorship I could stay on in a 20% role and continue my present research. The state school seems amenable to this arrangement, and has added that it would allow both my previous time in this postdoc toward tenure, and treat the ongoing 20% as a tenure-admissible external collaboration.

Within my network, I cannot find a single person with this kind of arrangement. Is join appointment where both the ranking of the institutions and the appointment type mismatch an uncommon thing? Pointed questions:

  • Is going to a different school within my PhD university a poor career decision, in terms of future positions? I know staying in your program is bad, but this seems a grey area.
    • Why not both? What might be the unanticipated issues of joint appointment at different ranks? Travel here seems not an issue: I plan to spent the majority of my time at the state institution while directing my other team remotely and visiting bimontly.
    • What advantages might I poorly understand? For example, is it generally permissible to write for money from two institutions, in effect to be your own subcontractor?
    • If I attempt to leave after tenure for a higher ranked school, how will the time at each institution likely be viewed? Will the Research Scientist role even be considered? Worse, will it be fairly necessary for such a move, such that I dare not let it end?
    • How can I frame my ivy league project as an external collaboration, such that it not be seen as a complication for my tenure? Any other political considerations?

A few days ago I got an offer (yay!). I have about another week before they want a decision. Over the last few days I have been tallying up costs for start up. When should I start negotiating?

And here’s the bigger question: my wife and I are expecting our first child basically soon as the fall semester starts – how do I broach the topic of a single semester deferral? I hate to do this but we have a lot of worry about transitioning during such a sensitive time (and their health insurance policy does not allay our concerns plus we have zero connections there and I worry about my wife’s isolation as I start a new position). This would be the number one thing for me to take the job.

So how would I go about the negotiation? Would I say A is number one thing I need, then B, then C etc? I should I start ASAP? Should I e-mail where I can cleanly layout reasons for each desire?

In regards to the deferral request, how do you envision the school to respond? It is a small department so not sure how they could absorb the workload. I was planning on going into detail how I would use my deferred time to accomplish tasks that would benefit the school (e.g. grant applications, work on outreach program, prep for spring classes, be willing to take heavier load in spring, get research ready for students etc). I doubt the school will completely dismiss my caution but also worried that deferral will be too much for them to bear.

A few days ago I got an offer (yay!). I have about another week before they want a decision. Over the last few days I have been tallying up costs for start up. When should I start negotiating?

And here’s the bigger question: my wife and I are expecting our first child basically soon as the fall semester starts – how do I broach the topic of a single semester deferral? I hate to do this but we have a lot of worry about transitioning during such a sensitive time (and their health insurance policy does not allay our concerns plus we have zero connections there and I worry about my wife’s isolation as I start a new position). This would be the number one thing for me to take the job.

So how would I go about the negotiation? Would I say A is number one thing I need, then B, then C etc? I should I start ASAP? Should I e-mail where I can cleanly layout reasons for each desire?

In regards to the deferral request, how do you envision the school to respond? It is a small department so not sure how they could absorb the workload. I was planning on going into detail how I would use my deferred time to accomplish tasks that would benefit the school (e.g. grant applications, work on outreach program, prep for spring classes, be willing to take heavier load in spring, get research ready for students etc). I doubt the school will completely dismiss my caution but also worried that deferral will be too much for them to bear.

I recently received a 1st-year physics postdoc fellowship offer at a university in Canada for 2-3 years. The annual salary is 55,000 CAD (44000 in USD). I haven’t worked in North America at all. I was just wondering how this salary is.
Is there some minimum salary of 45000 USD in US? Does it mean it’s not that good? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

So, my application looks like its going very well. I’ve got a feedback from the Norwegian institute that I am the most suitable candidate for the job among 13 ones. In a few weeks, I will be in the interview. I examine that there will be salary negotiations after the interview, taken into account the hard processing for all the applicants to the job and the committee’s decision to choose me as the best candidate.

The salary pay scale is 57-76 according to the Norwegian system. To be honest, anything less than 68 will not be of interest to me. However, I don’t want to lose the job because of such decision.
I don’t find any information on here or the internet about how can I negotiate a salary in Academic Norwegian organizations.

I would appreciate your help or experience. PS: I have a family, maybe this can explain why I need a higher pay ๐Ÿ˜›

Thank you.

I received a job offer from a UK university. The post was for a senior lecturer/reader position. When the Head of School called me, he hinted that they would offer me a reader position. But two days later when I received the written offer, they actually give me a senior lecturer position with the highest point. I was a bit disappointed as I expected it was a reader position. I have no experience in UK academic system (I am currently working in the US), but I heard there is little room to negotiate in the UK system. I am wondering if I can negotiate for a higher rank (reader) without insulting them. Besides I am going to interview for a reader position with another school. If I get the 2nd offer, can I ask the 1st to match (based on the UK academic culture)? Thanks for your input in advance.