At Uppsala universitet there are currently open positions as mathematics postdoc and as researchers. The announcement texts are identical, aside from this part (and clarification on it) that is missing from the researcher position:

To be eligible for a position as postdoctoral researcher the applicant’s PhD degree must have been obtained no more than three years prior to the application date; however, for example periods of sick leave or parental leave are deducted from the three-year period.

What is the difference between researcher and postdoc in the Swedish system in general, or Uppsala university in specific?

This journal issue has contents that are grouped as “article” or “monographic section”. What’s the difference between these two sections?

I checked the dictionary definition of monograph: “a highly detailed and thoroughly documented study or paper written about a limited area of a subject or field of inquiry“, but can’t we say the same about the regular articles in this journal? Why do some texts get classified in “article” and some in “monographic section”? To make it more confusing there is also a “Miscellaneous” section in that issue, and I have no idea why it was considered so versus the other texts.

All PhD students are getting their PhD from a university (as far as I know).

  1. But some PhD students follow a PhD program that is just a standard program at their department (e.g. department of math, or physics, or sociology), do research under a supervisor who is just affiliated with the department. The supervisor may also be affiliated with research institutes, but the relation between the PhD student and the supervisor is not created via, or dependent on, or related to those research institutes: the relation is solely based on the fact that the PhD student and supervisor are affiliated with the same department.

  2. Then there are PhD students, who (though they are of course also affiliated to a department) are enrolled into a PhD position that is specifically affiliated with a research institute. For example, there may be a research institute that is affiliated with university X, all researchers there are affiliated with X, but it is a somewhat separate institute. The PhD student would be specifically linked to that institute, rather than merely to his department.

Are there generally accepted terms that distinguish between these two types of PhD positions?

Is there a word to describe the case when a student can only receive credit for one of a group of courses because they are versions of a single course?

For example, “Accelerated Elementary Statistics” and “Elementary Statistics” – these have different course numbers but I would only want a student to be able to take one of these courses for credit.

Context: I’m designing course scheduling software and want to be able to describe/refer to this situation concisely to inform students and communicate with administrators who are designing course catalogues and requirements.